The orange (Citrus sinensis) is a fruit bearing tree which originated from Asia. It is mostly cultivated in tropical and subtropical lands of the world. Oranges consists of a peel or pericarp and pulp containing seeds. The fruit is available from November to January as well as March to May and is enjoyed all over the world in several ways. The world production of oranges is 62,709,636 tons each year. The peels are considered as a waste from consumption of oranges and thrown away mostly. These peels are of great importance, as they are highly nutritional and have antiseptic, anti-bacterial, anti-fungal, analgesic, therapeutic and anti-inflammatory values.
Sun Dried Orange Peels
The ranges are clean under the running water and then pat dry. Peeling can be done by hand or knife and directly place the peels under the sun for about three days until the peels are completely dried and become brittle. If sunlight is not enough, oven is used to dehydrate them for at least 25-30 mins. The dried peels can be stored in an airtight jar up to 2-3 years.
Important Nutrients in Orange Peels
- The orange peels are rich in nutrients such as vitamin C, fibers and polyphenols.
- It also contains pro-vitamin A, riboflavin, vitamin B₆, folate, thiamine, iron, potassium and calcium.
- It contain about 90% essential oils that are made up of limonene (a naturally occurring chemical).
Health Benefits of Orange Peels
- Orange peels boosts up immunitydue to the presence of Vitamin C and this helps to prevent lung infections.
- It can be used to lower blood pressure due to the presences of potassium.
- It improves heart health as it contains a compound called nobiletin that lower heart diseases risks and cholesterol levels.
- It prevents digestive issues, abdominal cramps, heartburn, vomiting and nausea.
- It is used as laxative (release constipation) and in the treatment of insomnia.
- It contain fibers which are great supplement for the weight loss.
- It can reduce the growth of cancer cells and considered as anticancer agent due to the presence of flavonoids in it.
- It helps to boost eye health due to the presence of compounds like limonene, decanal and citral.
- It will help to treat sneezing and running nose from allergies.
- It is rub against teeth and mouth to whiten the teeth and freshen up breath.
Orange Peels for Skin & Hair Care
- Orange peels helps to lighten dark spots and blemishes on the skin.
- It is used to make body scrub by crushing dried peels and make in the form of paste.
- The orange peel scrubs helps to brighten skin with sweet aroma.
- Face mask is also made by adding powder of orange peels into equal proportion of milk until a thick paste is obtained which is applied to face and washed after 30 minutes.
- The orange peel mask will remove dead skin cells, excessive oil and blackheads from face.
- It is also used to make lip balm by mixing the almond oil into peel powder.
- The orange peel paste help to get rid of dandruff from the scalp and clean the dirt from hairs.
Orange Peel Essential Oil
- Orange peelessential oil is obtained by grinding up the peels and fermenting them with alcohol for 3 days.
- The oil is strain and used in baths for improving skin tone and texture.
- It is used in the manufacturing of soaps and water-less hand sanitizers to clean the skin.
- It is used to suppress depression and anxiety by rubbing a bit of oil on forehead area.
- It is also used as a scent in perfumes and cosmetics.
Orange Peels As Pest/Insect Repellent
- Fresh orange peels are used to repel mosquitoes if rub them against skin.
- It is also used to repel slugs in home gardens by spreading them on the surface of soil.
- It will also repel ants and other types of insects from houses especially from kitchens.
Orange Peels as “Potpourri”
- Oranges peels can be placed anywhere in the closet on shelves and in drawers to keep smelling fresh because of its air freshening property.
- It can also absorb bad odor and moisture in the refrigerator and will leave behind its citrus scent in it.
- It will eliminate the garbage disposal odors from kitchen.
- A home humidifier can be made by heating up orange peels with cloves and cinnamon, this mixture will spray in corners of house to enhance freshness.
How to Consume Orange Peels
- Orange peels has more fiber and flavonoids in it than the fruit inside that contain nutritious benefits.
- They are used to make tea by adding them in hot boiling water which is taken for weight loss.
- It will enhance the taste of green tea if added in it.
- It is crushed over ice creams, cereals, spaghetti sauce, noodles, sushi, rice, spaghetti sauce and fish dishes.
- It is also added to yogurt and sprinkled over salads for flavoring.
- Its powder can be added to milkshakes and smoothies for nutritional purposes.
- It is also sprinkled over cakes, pastries, cookies and tarts etc.
- It can be taken in the form of orange Zest or Marmalade which is a better choice of getting nutritional benefits of peels.